Monday, May 19, 2008

Atheist quotes!

I thought I would put up a few of my favorite Atheist quotes. After a little bit of googling, I realized that there are way too many quotes that I like. So I'll put up a few of the best ones, and a link to many more. I didn't research the accuracy of the quotes and who they are attributed to, mostly because it's the quote I like and it's irrelevant to me who said it. Although, If something is wrong, let me know and I'll change it.

You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place. - Jonathan Swift

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins (from the God Delusion)

I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it. - Mark Twain

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? – Epicurus

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish. – Anonymous

Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer. – Anonymous

A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it. - David Stevens

I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing. - Douglas Adams

Which is it, is man one of God's blunders or is God one of man's? - Friedrich Nietzsche

Atheism is a non-prophet organization. - George Carlin

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people. - David Viaene

A church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence. -Doug McLeod


http://atheistblogger.com/2008/02/15/101-atheist-quotes/

2 comments:

  1. I hadn't seen all of those before. They're pretty good. I especially like the ones by Swift, Twain, and the two that illustrate the futility of prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite one of all is the one by Swift. It's really so true of many people and their beliefs in life. Glad you found a new one.

    ReplyDelete