Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Religulous

I finally got a copy of Religulous. I was a little worried that I had hyped it up in my head to be better than it could be, but I wasn't disappointed. I should have known better. I already like Bill Maher, and my favorite topic is religion, so how could I not like it? It was a very well done movie. It was funny and it had a good message. I recommend everyone with an open mind to watch it. It's probably not what you think. I would say that if you are a non-believer, then it is kind of preaching to the choir, but might encourage more timid non-believers to be a little more open. It is rather funny even if you aren't changed in any way by it. If you are a staunch believer, you probably won't watch it, and if you do, you probably won't have a change of heart. The people that are on the fence, might actually be influenced to think about it a little more. Captain Phantasmic, after watching it, said, "wow, I think I believe in god much less than before".

Captain Phantasmic you see, is only recently an atheist. I guess you could consider him my first convert, but I wasn't trying to convert him and he was basically an atheist already, he just didn't call himself one. Just listening to me BS with fellow friends, watching religulous, and thinking about all the things he's seen in the world he realized that he was basically an atheist, or maybe at most a deist. He definitely things that if there is a god, he doesn't give a shit about us, or is an asshole. I don't want to speak for him and his beliefs, so if I got it wrong, or if he wants to clarify, I sent him a link to this post and maybe he'll post a response.

So to sum it up, a really funny movie, with a serious undertone, that just may make you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment