Sunday, December 7, 2008

Thank you god for choosing me...


Fuck everyone else. That's all I can think of anytime I see someone saying grace. Every meal at the chow hall there is at least one person bowed in prayer thanking god for the wonderful meal they are about to eat. It makes me sick really. Are they completely unaware of how many people are starving in this world? If you are thanking god for your food, then you must think he had something to do with it being in front of you. If he is the one giving people food, then how come there are people in the world without food? Is that because of the devil? God can fight off the devil for you, but not for the millions of little children all over the world? If ever a prayer would be answered, it would be in the case of a starving child. Regardless of what god or religion the child has heard of, that internal voice asking for help would be answered if there truly was a god. If you can't see that, then you must really think you are special.

If you think that evil is in this world in order to give us the power of choice, then you must never have been to Baskin Robbins. They've got more than 31 flavors to choose from, some of those choices are pretty tough to make, and not one of them involves, starving, raping, murder, war, genocide, or nazis. Next time you are thanking god for the delicious meal in front of you, think about who/what you are really thanking, and why.

6 comments:

  1. All I can say is wow. You are really trying to get people to think and I love that about you. If they want to pray, then fine but they should all stop making it about themselves, but who am I kidding they can't think out side the box.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What are you as an atheist doing about the hungry people of the world? Just curious....

    ReplyDelete
  3. You obviously don't get what is being said. I think New Minority by writing this blog is trying to make people aware of all the starving individuals in the world. By reading this it only makes me and so many others aware of it and we all need to do are part together, because I haven't seen God ever and haven't heard him talk back to me when I use to pray So I really don't think he is going to do anything about it. So it is up to us the living individuals that are on this earth you and me that is all we have. Believe it or not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First off, you just made my point. What kind of god would need my help to feed children? (hint: One that doesn't care or doesn't exist.)

    It really is irrelevant what I'm doing to help starving kids in the world. I was talking about how arrogant saying grace at dinner time is and how starving is a strong indicator that there isn't a god. If you must know, I'm in the Texas National Guard. I'm deploying to Afghanistan in January. With the food crisis that is only going to get worse in Afghanistan this winter, a large part of our mission will be giving out food. We are also rebuilding/building hospitals and schools, clearing mines and putting in wells for water (for drinking and to help future crops). I may not end up doing all of those things personally, but I am a part of the team that is doing it. I'm giving the biggest sacrifice I can give, and that is being away from my family for a year.

    There are many people in the world that help others. Some religious people do, some do not. Some non-religious people do, some do not. The point of my blog is to inspire people to evaluate their beliefs and why they believe them. The more we understand our own beliefs, the better we can understand others beliefs as well. Understanding others is the first step to becoming tolerant of others. The more we are tolerant of others, the more we are willing to help them. All we have on this earth is each other.

    If you are interested in supporting a cause around the world, here are a few sites you can check out.
    http://www.unicef.org/
    http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/
    http://www.who.int/en/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read Anonymous's post two days ago, and was meaning to comment on it, but I didn't have enough time. Now, I've been beaten to the punch.

    What I was going to write is largely covered by Eric's comment. But, since Anonymous's comment seems to hint at the idea that atheists have no motivation for doing good deeds, and thus would be unlikely to offer aid, I'll add that I personally know atheists who have travelled to poor regions around the world, donating their own time and money, to help people in need, as well as helping out in their own communities.

    In reference to the original post, theodicy is only a problem with the conventional omnibenevolent version of Christianity. As far as theism in general, all you have to do is say that the god is apathetic, an asshole, or not omnipotent. Polytheism with multiple non-omnipotent gods makes theodicy even less of a problem. I never saw theodicy as an argument for atheism per se, but rather as a way to get people to start questioning their current beliefs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very true Fatboy, it's not really an argument for atheism, just an argument against one particular kind of god. That's why I don't absolutely believe there isn't a god. There isn't one simple, clear cut argument against a god existing, just many aspects of various ideas of god being highly unlikely or at least suspect. If there is a god and he is apathetic or an asshole, then he really isn't worthy of praise (mine at least).

    ReplyDelete