Friday, December 12, 2008

Meaning of christmas?

Here is a quote from an anonymous poster the other day.
I'm curious what you tell your children the meaning of Christmas is.
I'm curious if you even know what the meaning of christmas is? It really doesn't have the same meaning for everyone. For me it is a time to love and cherish my family. Although, it's hard to love and cherish them more than I already do. Maybe it is just about the toys. There definitely isn't a standard meaning of christmas. It doesn't even have the same general concept from one country to another, and from one time period to another. The history of christmas has far less to do with Christ than most people think. If you'd like a brief overview of the history of christmas, check out this bit on the history channel website. Did you know that christmas used to be illegal in the United States? I had no idea.

1 comment:

  1. I love Christmas and how it reminds me to give, and not just gifts. I love being with you and the kids and making it about family and being together. I can't wait to see you and have us all together again:)

    ReplyDelete