Thursday, April 10, 2008

I don't believe in evolution...

It's true, I don't believe in evolution. I understand evolution, and the mountains of evidence supporting it, and think that it is the most logical, and likely explanation for all of the diversity and the creation of life on this planet(and probably other planets as well).

I also don't believe in gravity, or that the earth is round, or that the universe is billions of years old. Again, it's not about believing, but about understanding the concepts and the evidence.

In case you were wondering, I was told today by a coworker that you must either "believe" in science, or religion. Hogwash. My understanding of the universe is completely open to change, and is not dictated by an archaic book. I can go get a degree in molecular biology and confirm for myself the existence of DNA. I do not have to take it on authority from genetic experts. I can not, however, go become a prophet and confirm the existence of a deity. People of religion are not open to the idea that they are wrong. The discovery that religion is a lie or at the very least a misconception, is extremely difficult to grasp for believers. It is a slow painful process to come to the real truth, if even possible for most people.

On a side note, I was agreeing with my coworker that some of the bible's errors are more easily explained as translation errors, and can't justifiably be used against the bibles accuracy. I specifically mentioned the references to unicorns in the King James version of the bible, and how they are most likely translation errors referring instead, to either a rhinoceros, or as most other bibles say, wild oxen. My coworker said to me that it could have even been a triceratops that they were talking about. I'll give you a moment to let that sink in...







I was just trying to be nice, because honestly, even if it was a translation error, people actually did believe in unicorns. When he said it could be a triceratops, I couldn't be nice anymore and laughed out loud. You could probably describe it as laughing in his face. I then thought, maybe he means triceratops fossils inspired the term, and so stopped laughing and asked him. He said no, he meant literal living triceratops alive during biblical times. I laughed a lot more, as you might imagine.

Edit: I forgot a really funny part to this as well. Millions of years of geological data aside, how many horns does a triceratops have? 1 =/= 3

No comments:

Post a Comment