Sunday, October 10, 2010

Three big changes coming

There are three big changes coming that I think will affect our population more than any other.

  • Vertical farming in skyscrapers, growing our food where we live in a closed system allowing maximum growth from minimal resources all while being organic.
  • Clean power, or maybe a better way to store/transport already existing clean power. This could be significantly better batteries, fusion power, neutrino based wireless power, who knows I'm just making stuff up know.
  • Cars that drive themselves.

I should have known that Google would be the one to save the day. Apparently they've already driven 140,000 miles in an automatically driven car in the San Francisco Bay area. I'm excited about this, and can't wait for it to be mainstream. Hopefully it won't take long.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that's definitely google-worthy information... mostly because I want to know who to exchange my insurance info with if I rear end the autocar (it's bound to happen to me)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A similar, and more promising project on self dring cars, is the following one:

    http://viac.vislab.it

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't say that it's more promising necessarily, but it's definitely quite an accomplishment, and definitely working in the right direction. It looks like there will be autonomous cars in the very near future driving around downtown of major cities. I can't wait.

    The reason I say it's not necessarily more promising is that we don't really know that much about the google car. We don't know how much the car was modified, how expensive the parts they used are, how autonomous it really is, etc, etc. What we do know that makes it real promising is that Google has boat loads of money and a progressive way of spending it. They are also known for coming out with really good solutions to things and then giving them away for free, or at least making it easy to get. To be honest though, I don't care who actually brings it to market, I just want it.

    ReplyDelete