Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Not used to being in this state of mind...

I'm generally such a happy person. I'm pretty easy going. I usually make the best of things. I've been making the best of things for so long now. I'm just tired of it. I wish Afghanistan was a person, I would punch him/her (that's right, even if Afghanistan was a girl) right in the face. So, to help cheer me up, I'm going to list all the good things about being here. Ha, there I go trying to make the best of things again. Sneaky optimism, very sneaky.

I've met a lot of really cool people. Some of them have become good friends that I imagine will be that way for a long time to come.

I've been a help to a many people; Lots of people a little bit of help, and a few people lots of help. I enjoy being useful, so that's good.

I've realized that my life in the states is pretty close to heaven on earth. I will cherish everything so much more than I did before. I'll also worry a lot less about all the shit that doesn't matter.

I have also managed to save a lot more money than usual. Actually, my darling wife has been doing the saving. It was probably a lot easier for her to do without me constantly buying gadgets and gizmos.

I'm in better shape than I was before I came here. I haven't lost all the weight that I wanted to, but I've still got more time. I've already lost about 25lbs. I want to lose another 10 more or so. Even though I haven't lost as much weight as I want, part of that is because I've bulked up a little bit. So while I've been losing bad weight, I've been gaining good weight, and I feel much more healthy. I go on leave in less than a month, and I think that my wife will like what I've been doing in the gym.

That's about as positive as I can be. It already helped a little bit just to think about it.

4 comments:

  1. Great blog!!
    if you like, come back and visit mine: http://albumdeestampillas.blogspot.com

    Thanks,
    Pablo from Argentina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what to say that doesn't sound smug coming from a guy that'll never be in your situation, but as I've said before, thank you for the sacrifices you make for the rest of us.

    How much longer do you have to go before you can come home?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your thanks. I get to come home for a 2 week vacation in about two weeks. Then after that, I've only got about a month in country or so. I should be home within a week of Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Eric,

    Its been a long time... I can't tell you how much it warms my heart to see how well you are doing. Lily is such a beautiful name. Please feel free to write... I'm actually moving to Texas here soon to return to school. I'd love to catch up. jessicamandrew@gmail.com.

    Take care
    Jess

    ReplyDelete