Friday, September 19, 2008

In polite company... Welfare

As with most topics, especially politics, you end up having to make decisions based on generalities. I understand that in certain cases welfare has significantly helped deserving people that used welfare as a stepping stone to get their life back on track. Unfortunately, I don't think that it represents the majority of people on welfare.

Speaking only from people that I have known on welfare, and not on statistics or any other scientific like study, I'm against welfare. I think it enables laziness, and quite often helps people with drug or alcohol problems continue their lifestyle. If you can't make ends meet, and you need help, then I think the government should be there for help, but not just for free. You want money? There are a lot of jobs in the government that you can do. They may not be "good" jobs, but if you don't want to pick up trash, clean sewers, etc, then go get a job on your own. Did I mention that if you work for the government that you have to submit to random drug tests at least once every 6 months? Oh, and one more thing. If you can't even support the family that you have now, how can you possibly support another child? Guess you'll be thanking the government for your mandatory depo-provera shot? (mandatory only for welfare recepients before everyone jumps on me)

2 comments:

  1. I was just discussing politics with my parents last night. When it turned to welfare, we all seemed to agree that something similar to the CCC would be a good way to do things now.

    When you think about it, the government gives away all kinds of money - grants, scholarships, funding for science and R&D. The reason why those work is because something constructive is being done with the money.

    And, if someone is in a situation where they can't do anything and they need a free handout, I like your suggestion of a depo-provera shot. My wife used to work labor & delivery at a hospital, and saw too many people that took advantage of the system, and saw babies as just another pay check. Plus, like you said in your abortion post, it's not like there's a shortage of people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the CCC. Isn't that how they built Hoover Dam? I think programs like that would be a good idea. The needy get money, and a skill maybe, and the government isn't just handing out money.

    ReplyDelete