Friday, September 19, 2008

AHH, I'm really going to Afghanistan.

So I've been in training with the Texas National Guard lately. It's starting to dawn on me that I'm actually going to be going over to Afghanistan. I've known for awhile now, but it was always kind of a distant reality that might never materialize into existence. Yesterday while in combat life savers class (CLS) it really became tangible. I'm not sure what did it, whether the various grotesque casualty pictures, or learning how to give an IV and actually giving one to a fellow soldier, or maybe the entirety of the experience, but I now know it as truth. I'm going to Afghanistan as a US soldier. I guess it will be a good way to test if there are any atheists in foxholes, even though this isn't a very traditional war and there might not actually be any foxholes.

The worst part about about everything is going to be the seperation from my family for about a year. I'm going to miss them so much.

3 comments:

  1. The coalition stands to continue doing a lot of good in the area, man. It's the work of people like you that brings hope to the region.

    I tried to explain to my 7-year old nephew what we Canadians and Americans do when we go to other countries: the reconstruction, the schools, education for women...you know the list better than I do.

    I'm sure your family will miss you too! If you need to find me on Facebook for a penpal or anything, just get in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I said it in your previous Afghanistan post, and I'll say it again:

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the support guys. I should still be on the net over there, so I'll still be in contact. I might have to change the name of the blog to Atheist in a Foxhole for a bit.

    ReplyDelete